New EMC VMAX(3) - Industry's First Enterprise Data Service PlatformDate : July 8, 2014
- New EMC VMAX3 redefines enterprise storage with the industry's first open enterprise data service platform.
- Reduces total cost of ownership by 50%, up to 3X the performance of previous generations.
- HYPERMAX OS – the first converged storage hypervisor and operating system to embed storage infrastructure services on the array.
- Dynamic Virtual Matrix enables customers to dynamically allocate processing power to meet service levels across mixed workloads.
EMCacquires TwinStrata, Inc., with plans to enable seamless public cloud access as an embedded data service for VMAX3 customers.
- EMC ProtectPoint enables direct backup to EMC Data Domain, up to 10X faster backups, eliminates need for traditional backup infrastructure.
Connect With Us:
- Live Streaming: To view the live streaming of the Redefine Possible event, visit: http://www.emc.com/redefinepossible
- Social: Join the conversation with #RedefinePossible. Stay engaged with
EMCby following EMC Corporation on Twitter@EMCCorp and on Facebook.
- Live Chat: Ask
Jeremy Burtonanything during a live chat today. Click here to register and use #RedefinePossible to join in.
Historically, IT delivered data services to internal clients while maintaining full control of the data center. IT was the trusted sole provider, but constrained by a lack of agility in rolling out new applications efficiently. The advent of public cloud services allowed business owners to bypass IT and quickly procure the applications they needed. This self-service approach delivered new levels of agility; however, it added risk by placing the company's data outside of IT's trusted control.
To help IT organizations regain control, a new and far-more agile data center infrastructure is required. The VMAX3 enterprise data service platform enables customers to regain control of where best to run specific workloads, within the data center or in the public cloud. VMAX3 introduces this innovation to help customers manage their Storage-as-a-Service through predictable service levels at hybrid cloud scale.
The rearchitecture of VMAX3 is based upon the new HYPERMAX OS and Dynamic Virtual Matrix architecture. HYPERMAX OS is the industry's first open converged storage hypervisor and operating system. It enables VMAX3 to embed storage infrastructure services like cloud access, data mobility and data protection directly on the array. This delivers new levels of data center efficiency and consolidation by reducing footprint and energy requirements. In addition, HYPERMAX OS delivers the ability to perform real-time and non-disruptive data services. The Dynamic Virtual Matrix architecture enables customers to dynamically allocate processing power for improved performance and to ensure predictable service levels at scale.
VMAX3 combines the control and trust of the traditional data center with the flexibility, economics and scale of the cloud, delivering customers a more powerful, trusted and agile system.
- The new VMAX3 hybrid systems – including the 100K, 200K and 400K – are purpose-built to support the hybrid cloud by dynamically allocating up to 384 processing cores on-demand to meet the performance requirements of dynamic mixed workloads. VMAX3 enables customers to hyper-consolidate enterprise applications. The new systems are designed so that customers can start "small" – from 100's of virtual machines – and grow to tens of thousands of virtual machines, all while delivering predictable service levels.
- VMAX3 offers up to 3X faster performance and 50% lower total cost of ownership as the previous generation VMAX, accelerating Oracle, SQL, SAP transactional processing, high bandwidth data analytics and file workloads.
- The new flash-optimized VMAX3 delivers the agility and economics of the cloud, with the control and trust of the VMAX Family's greater than 99.9999% ("six nines") availability.
- EMC ProtectPoint TM, a new data protection solution, enables direct backup from primary storage to protection storage. Providing up to 10x faster backup and instant access to protected data, this innovative approach enables backing up the VMAX3 directly to a Data Domain® system, eliminating the need for traditional backup infrastructure and reducing total cost of ownership by up to 65%.
- VMAX3 delivers radically simple single-click provisioning while also enabling customers to define service level objectives across consolidated mixed workloads using the new VMAX Advanced FAST Suite. With EMC ViPR® integration, these capabilities are provided through a self-service model.
- New embedded cloud access capabilities will be delivered through
TwinStrata, Inc., which EMCacquired today. TwinStrata's advanced cloud tiering technology enables customers to move infrequently accessed data to the public cloud for lower TCO. TwinStrata today supports many of the leading public cloud providers on the market today, and will add support for other market leaders as well.
Availability and Services
VMAX3 with HYPERMAX OS are expected to be available in the third quarter of 2014 with additional capabilities to follow. Embedded file and ProtectPoint will be available in the fourth quarter of 2014 for additional license fees. TwinStrata integration details will be announced at a later date. EMC Global Services consulting and implementation services are available for VMAX3 deployments.
"The VMAX platform has always been powerful and trusted. The VMAX3 enhancements announced today give us the agility we need to provide services to our application owners while ensuring predictable performance levels. The simplicity of VMAX3 is a game changer as it gives us the ability to take control back into the data center and deliver cloud services our clients. I look forward to leveraging the new capabilities of the VMAX3."
"The revolutionary transformation of VMAX3– from enterprise storage to an open enterprise data service platform – delivers customers the ability to transform a traditional storage infrastructure to an agile data center infrastructure. Simply put, it's hyper-consolidation for existing workloads, and their underlying infrastructure. As the first open enterprise data service platform, VMAX3 is the foundation for hybrid cloud as customers look to deliver Storage-as-a-Service with simple, policy-based service levels."
This release contains "forward-looking statements" as defined under the Federal Securities Laws. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to: (i) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (ii) delays or reductions in information technology spending; (iii) the relative and varying rates of product price and component cost declines and the volume and mixture of product and services revenues; (iv) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures and new product introductions; (v) component and product quality and availability; (vi) fluctuations in